Hackensack Public Schools
Unit 2: Well Crafted Realistic Fiction
Indicators of Understanding
1. Writers will attend to structure: Problem and solution is illuminated by rising and falling action, i.e. building up of tension.
2. Writers will attend to character development: focus on relationships, as shown through what supporting characters say or think about the main character.
3. Writers will attend to time passage:
- plot mountain which directly supports the meaning of the story
- shows not tells to indicate transition
4. Writers will write realistic fiction inspired by observations in the world (e.g. things I find unjust).