Unit 5: Crafting Powerful Essays
Indicators of Understanding
1. Writers choose ideas for essays based on personal experiences, relationships, and observations.
2. Writer follows modeled structure to develop their essay.
3. Writers differentiate the importance and relevance of gathered information and make decisions about what to include and omit from the essay to best support the thesis.
4. Writers use paragraphs to organize their thinking for their readers in their draft and published essay.
5. Writers reread and edit for appropriate verbs and verb tenses in service of the meaning of their essay.